Today is the deadline to apply for Nevada’s Big Game Species. Nevada is a must apply for me, because it’s a state which is close enough for me to actually scout and it has some quality units for all 3 of the species I want to apply for.
I often wait until the end of an application period, because I want to look over the most recent precipitation models and I have to work possible hunts around my guiding schedule.
Much of the Northern half of Nevada saw above average precipitation. This is cold country, so it’s not always a great thing for antler growth to see large amounts of snow in these units.
Southern Nevada, which is where I apply for most of the time, received sub-par precipitation amounts during this critical time period for antler growth.