|Arizona’s NEW Premium Bul Elk Fees?|
First, I will say this… The cost of hunting is going to continue to climb and those that VALUE it the most will continue to do it, no matter what. Does it mean you have to be rich? No, but it does mean you are going to have to value the experience more.
The Arizona Game & Fish Department has developed a NEW simpler fee structure. I applaud them for trying to make the system simpler and for placing a value on the demand for certain hunts. I believe these are both problems that needed to be addressed.
Here is the link to the PowerPoint: Arizona Hunting & Fishing License Simplification
I do have questions about the PREMIUM Early Archery Bull Elk Tag structure. Basically, they are wanting to charge the increased rate and label all of these hunts as the same QUALITY. It doesn’t take a genius to figure out only a few of these hunts are managed for a HIGHER bull-to-cow ratio (alternative management units). So my opinion is, how can you charge a PREMIUM rate for the non-alternative management units? A Unit 9 archery bull elk hunt is a completely different experience than a Unit 5BN hunt. I personally feel like this is the Game & Fish trying to have their cake and eat it too!
If you are an Arizona Resident you have a chance to list and ask questions at one of the following meetings:
- Thursday, May 16, Pinetop, Pinetop Fire Department, Station #2, 5976 Buck Springs Road.
- Monday, May 20, Phoenix, Arizona Game and Fish Department headquarters, 5000 W. Carefree Highway (Note: This meeting will also be webcast at www.azgfd.gov/webcast).
- Monday, May 20, Mesa, Arizona Game and Fish Department Mesa regional office, 7200 E. University Drive.
- Tuesday, May 21, Tucson, Arizona Game and Fish Department Tucson regional office, 555 N. Greasewood Road.
- Wednesday, May 22, Flagstaff, Arizona Game and Fish Department Flagstaff regional office, 3500 S. Lake Mary Road.
- Wednesday, May 22, Yuma, Arizona Game and Fish Department Yuma regional office, 9140 E. 28th St.
- Thursday, May 23, Kingman, Arizona Game and Fish Department Kingman regional office, 5325 N. Stockton Hill Road.
- Thursday, May 23, Page, Page Police Department Conference Room, 808 Coppermine Road.
- Tuesday, May 28, Globe, Besh Ba Gowah Museum, 1324 S. Jesse Hayes Road.
- Tuesday, May 28, Lake Havasu City, Lake Havasu City Aquatic Center, 100 Park Ave.
- Tuesday, May 28, Sierra Vista (meeting starts after the 6 p.m. hunt guidelines meeting), Sierra Vista Police Department, 911 N. Coronado Drive.
- Wednesday, May 29, Payson, Payson Public Library, 328 N. McLane Road.
- Wednesday, May 29, Safford, Graham County General Services Building, 921 Thatcher Blvd.
- Wednesday, May 29, Wickenburg, Wickenburg Community Center, 160 N. Valentine St.
- Thursday, May 30, Eagar, Eagar Town Council Chambers, 22 W. 2nd St.
- Thursday, May 30, Prescott, Yavapai County Building, 1015 Fair St.
- Thursday, June 6, Ajo, Ajo Ambulance, Inc., 1850 N. Ajo Gila Bend Hwy.